Jonah Engler’s people today are leading hectic lives. They are pulled into multiple thoughts in different directions together. The most effective way of managing stress which the current day hectic lifestyles produce is through mindfulness. It is a means to maintain moment-by-moment awareness, including one’s surroundings, bodily sensations, feelings, and thoughts. To practice mindfulness includes acceptance in which one pays attention to their feelings and thoughts sans judgment, which means there is nothing wrong or right to feel or think in a specific moment.
When someone practices mindfulness, they will tune into what they sense at the moment instead of imagining the future or rehashing the past. Though mindfulness has its original roots in Buddhist meditation, today, it is widely used as a method to manage stress owing to the multiple positive impacts this has on the body and mind. Today mindfulness is utilized in different settings such as veteran programs, hospitals, prisons, schools, and beyond.
Jonah Engler’s 10 Effective Causes to Practice Mindfulness
As per recent studies, practicing mindfulness for only a couple of weeks too can help in bringing various social, psychological, and physical benefits. Below are 10 reasons stated by Jonah Engler for incorporating mindfulness into one’s life
- Extremely Beneficial for the Mind- Mindfulness helps in increasing positive emotions while decreasing stress and negative emotions.
- Boost Immune System- Practicing mindfulness medication will help in boosting the ability of the immune system in fighting off illness.
- Positive Changes in the Brain- Practicing mindfulness can help in increasing the density of gray matter present in the brain regions that are associated with empathy, emotion regulation, memory, and learning.
- Fight Obesity- When one mindful practice eating, it will help in encouraging healthier eating habits, helping people lose weight, as well as helping them in savoring what they eat.
- Increases focus- Practicing mindfulness will help in tuning out distractions and improving one’s attention skills and memory. Besides, it will also help in enhancing their ability to recalling information.
- Regulate Emotions- People who practice mindfulness are sure to experience a rise in cognitive focus and a fall in emotional reactivity.
- Foster Altruism and Compassion- Mindfulness training will help in making one more likely to assist others in need as well as help in increasing activities in the neural network involved to understand others suffering and regulating emotions. It may also boost self-compassion.
- Boost Relationship Satisfaction- Practicing mindfulness will help in making couples more satisfied and happier with their relationship, making each other feel more relaxed and optimistic. It will also make them feel closer and more accepting of each other.
- Beneficial for Parents-to-be and Parents- As per studies, mindfulness may work wonders in reducing pregnancy-related depression, stress, and anxiety in expecting parents. Parents that practice this habit are happier with both their bonding with their kids and parenting skills, and their kids, too, are likely to possess better social skills.
- Reduce PTSD Disorder- Practicing mindfulness can also help in reducing Post Traumatic Stress Disorder symptoms.
Tips to Practice Mindfulness
When it comes to practicing mindfulness, there are several methods people can try their hands at. But every technique is different forms of meditation utilized for attaining a state of focused, alert, relaxing. You can do this by paying attention deliberately to sensations and thoughts without judgment. It enables the mind to focus on the present. Take a look at a few examples on the ways of practicing mindfulness,
- Urge Surfing- Coping with cravings and allowing these to pass. Keep track of how the body feels when the urge enters. Substitute the wish for that craving to vanish with specific knowledge that will subside, thereby giving one the control over their urge.
- Emotions- Enable emotions in being present sans judgment. Again, practice a relaxed and steady naming of emotions. Most importantly, accept the feelings when they come, acknowledging the same sans judgment and letting them go.
- Sensory- Notice touches tastes, smells, sounds, and signs. Name them sans judgment, feel the same, and let them go.
- Body Sensations- Keep track of subtle body sensations like tingling or an itch sans judgment and let it pass. Notice every body part in succession right from head to toe.
- Basic mindfulness meditation- Focus quietly on the natural breathing or a mantra or word which one repeats silently. Enable thoughts to come as well as go sans judgment and return to their focus on mantra or breath.
For all those who wish to practice mindfulness, this is how they can go about it.
- One of the most common means of mindfulness is meditation. It includes being aware of one’s surroundings and thoughts and letting various feelings to come and go while they observe. Becoming a member of a meditation group will offer one more motivation to exercise it.
- Today are various forms of clinically-suggested mindfulness therapy sessions, particularly for those battling anxiety disorder and stress. Some of the most popular include Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT), Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy (CBT), Acceptance & Commitment Therapy (ACT), Mindfulness-based Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (MCBT), and Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR).
- A technological means to practice mindfulness will be to use a mindfulness and meditation app. It will help one in being more mindful, thereby helping them enjoy a better quality of life in its entirety.
Practicing Mindfulness Is The Present-Moment
The essence of practicing mindfulness is the present-moment awareness that sounds easy. Yet as per research, this is indeed a challenging task. There is ample evidence in the external environment for pulling people away from their current moment. It can be Netflix, emails, phones, and their ample thoughts in one’s inner world, which they spend maximum part of their day on that train of thought despite realizing they ever boarded it. By practicing mindfulness, one can work to return to the present.
Being present like any other thing in life indeed is a practice. One requires working on this, or they are likely to fall into their patterns of worry and distraction. Remember, mindfulness cannot help in eliminating the stressors from one’s life, but what this can do is give one some powerful practices and techniques that can help them a great deal in managing those stressors creatively and skillfully.